Through my work developing juice cleanses I have noticed that a cold press, juice only diet can be lacking basic energy boosting nutrients for the average busy working professional. Not enough protein and fiber can leave you well… sluggish.
The answer to this sluggish juice cleanse outlook? Chia Seeds! Chia seeds have been increasing in popularity due to the many health and digestive benefits. I have found that adding a teaspoon to juices during your cleanse can not only increase your energy, it can actually help power you through your day!
Check out these 7 reasons to add Chia Seeds to your juice!
1) Fight Diabetes. Chia is being studied as a potential natural treatment for diabetes because of its ability to slow down digestion. The gelatinous coating develops when exposed to liquids can also prevent blood sugar spikes.
2) Get More Fiber! Just a one-ounce serving of chia has 11 grams of fiber— a third of the suggested daily intake for adults. Adding some chia to your juice diet is an easy way to make sure you're helping your organs process and “cleanse” the daily toxins we consume daily.
3) Omega-3. Chia seeds are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, fats that are vital for brain health!
4) Keep your bones strong! One tablespoon of Chia seeds has 18 per cent of the recommended daily intake for calcium! Keep your pearly whites strong while preventing osteoporosis.
5) Lacking Protein? No Problem. Chia seeds make a great source of protein for vegetarian juice cleanses. One serving of these amazing seeds have 10 percent of the daily needed value.
6) Get Rid of Belly Fat. Chia's effect on blood sugar spikes can also fight insulin resistance- which can be tied to an increase in belly fat.
7) Get Full! Tryptophan (an amino acid) is also found in chia seeds. It helps regulate appetite, sleep and improve mood. Something that can help not only you, but the company you keep during your cleanse!